The Office of Tax Collector was established in the 1885 Florida Constitution with the idea that a locally elected official would be more responsive to the needs of the community they serve. The Tax Collector is an independent constitutional officer elected by the voters of Hendry County for a four-year term.
The Tax Collector is responsible for providing a myriad of services:
- Collection of real property, tangible personal property, non-ad Valorem, sales, and tourist development taxes with oversight from the Department of Revenue
- Issuance of Business Tax Receipts on behalf of Hendry County
- Agent for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles issuing driver licenses and identification cards. Issuing titles and registrations for motor vehicles, mobile homes, and vessels. Issuance of Handicapped Parking Placards
- Agent for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission issuing hunting and fishing licenses and/or permits
- Agent for the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services accepting applications for and renewing Concealed Weapons Licenses